If there’s anything nicer than waking up in the calming wilderness, it’s having a healthy, filling, and delicious breakfast that’s easy to prepare and clean up. These vegan protein pancakes are great to prepare you for a day of hiking, mountain biking, or more hammock lounging.
- camp stove
- frying pan
- water (about 3 cups)
- vegetable oil (about 3 Tbs)
- pancake mix in large, heavy-weight Ziplock bag
- 2 cups all purpose whole wheat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I recommend Sun Warrior)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup dehydrated blueberries (optional)
Mix all ingredients but blueberries and store in heavy duty Ziplock bag for up to a week in a cool, dark place. Blueberries can be carried in separate lightweight Ziplock bag if desired; the bags are lightweight, compact, and reuseable.
- Add up to ¼ cup water to optional berries and set aside.
- Shake mix in Ziplock bag before opening
- Slowly add two cups water and 2 tablespoons oil to mix, mixing every so often. with camp fork or by shaking baggy. Keep adding liquids and mix until “just mixed.” Let sit for five minutes.
- Turn on camp stove and use remaining tablespoon on frying pan as needed.
- Add optional reconstituted berries to batter.
- Pour batter onto frying pan, roughly ¼ cup per pancake but it will depend on size of camping pan.
- Cook until edges look slightly dry and center starts to bubble, then flip and cook for another minute, until underside is golden brown. Repeat and eat until batter is gone and your camp bellies are full.
Once you’re done cooking and eating, use remaining water to rinse bags and pan for an easy carry-out.